Many believe, our public officials, today, often, focus, more, on addressing their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest, than, serving the best interests of their constituents, and nation! The constant, apparent, dysfunction, and, failure, to address, true priorities, and national needs, etc, contributes, significantly, to the low – esteem, politicians, often, appear to be held – to! Common sense, indicates, certain issues, should transcend politics, and partisan behaviors, but, unfortunately, there is very – little, of that, apparently, in our elected officials! This article will, therefore, attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 6 specific things/ areas, which should be our national priorities, and addressed, sooner, rather than later!
1. Health care: Shouldn’t access to affordable health care, regardless of one’s personal finances, be a right, rather than, merely, a privilege? How can we be proud of our nation, when/ if, we are, one of the only nations, in the world, where, ability – to – pay, determine the quality of their care, etc? What does our present approach, say about us, especially, in terms of fairness, compassion, and genuine, humanity?
2. A fair tax system: Supposedly, this nation, claims, we have a progressive tax system, where the wealthiest, are supposed to pay, more, in taxes, than those, who may, be worse – off, economically/ financially! While, this has not been the case, in decades, the so – called, tax reform, passed, and enacted, in 2017, clearly, benefited, the wealthiest, than others! How can we permit, some of the wealthiest individuals, in this nation, as well as the largest corporations, to pay less tax, than ordinary, working people, etc?
3. Human rights: Many of us, believe, our Founding Fathers, envisioned a nation, which emphasized human rights, and other essential freedoms! Although, they were imperfect, flawed humans, like everyone else, the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and Bill of Rights, were, basically, based on providing guaranteed freedoms and rights!
4. Protect all rights (not selective): We can’t pick – and – choose, which rights, to protect, and which, to pay, less attention to! When, we hear, some demand their interpretations of the 2nd Amendment, but, ignore, the 1st Amendment, etc, this selective approach, harms our nation, etc! Denying, systemic racism, exists, does not make it, go – away!
5. Climate and Environment: Those, who deny, the existence of the potential dangerous, and worsening conditions, due to Climate Change, harm, the quality of life, etc, for future generations! Shouldn’t it be every generation’s duty and responsibility, to turn – over, a sustainable planet, etc? Don’t we need to demand, environmental protections, in order to, at least, protect our air quality, and water supplies (clean air, and water)?
6. Affordable, quality education: The cost of acquiring a quality, college education, continues, rising, and, this, the opportunity to provide, affordable, quality education, to all, is harmed!
Wake up, America, and demand more, from your elected officials, and, hold – them, to these standards! Will you become a more responsible voter?